Saturday, January 14, 2012

garden planning


  Today was the big day: I ordered heirloom seeds from Baker Creek! My mom and I are starting a vegetable garden in her backyard this year. She has generously offered the space and some tending efforts so that I can grow my own salad. As a frequently-moving renter, I feel much better about having a plot in a permanent location, even if it means I can't poke around in it daily. I will be just fine with weekly gardening if the plants get the attention they need while I am away. And I know they will.

Inspired by bloggers and writers, friends and family, I have decided to step up my game from a basic, potted herb garden (though there will still be one) and the occasional tomato plant to something that takes up more space. I am really looking forward to it. I ordered beans, carrots, spinach, kohlrabi, tomatoes, kale, and onions. The garden will be trimmed with zinnias and marigolds to help fend off some little buggers, and there will be a low fence. This is basic, kids, but it's a start. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I know plenty of people who do. I hope I come out of this with modest success, and the confidence to expand!

No comments:

Post a Comment