Tuesday, June 14, 2011

astro-embroidery

When I was seven or eight, my mom taught me a couple embroidery stitches. I worked on a pillowcase with an iron-on Berenstain Bears pattern. Sister Bear was watering a flower in the rain or something like that. I'm not sure if I ever finished it. (Hey Mom, did I finish it? Do you still have it?) Anyway, that was the last of my needlework - until this year. I just needed a 20+ year hiatus to get back into it!


My awesome friends Beth and Andy have this awesome little kid, and his first birthday was approaching. I was antsy to start some kind of project, and I decided to give embroidery another try. With a handy little book of stitches and motifs by Aimee Ray, I came up with a design.


Once I completed the drawing and transferred it, this piece only took an afternoon to complete. I was really happy with it. Hooray for rocket ships!


French knots proved tricky at first, but I got the hang of it. Ursa Major and Ursa Minor are recognizeable, I think!


I threw in a few stars with different stitch styles, but tried to keep it simple.


This is a basic piece, but I am so happy that I found something that held my interest for more than 5 minutes. I don't often finish projects these days. Since I gifted this, I started a new embroidery project which I have been working on steadily. YAY! Go craft something.

No comments:

Post a Comment