Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Villette looks good on the nightstand.

This post has two purposes:

1) to show off the nightstand that Justin helped me make (not that you can really admire the craftsmanship here, but just know that I'm pleased with our efforts), and

2) to announce that I have just finished reading Villette, another novel by the masterful writer Charlotte Brontë. This was the last novel she completed in her short life, and it's beautiful. Jane Eyre is still my favorite by far, but I really enjoyed the characters in this story. There are romantic interests, of course, but the main character, Lucy Snowe, is primarily interested in becoming independent and self-sufficient.


After reading other books about the Brontë sisters themselves (both nonfiction and fiction), Villette seems so much like an adaptation of Charlotte's own life. I'm really fascinated by the Brontë's lives and their stories as they overlap in many ways.


So.... what next? Which book will be the next to grace my lovely nightstand? :)

I think I am going to take a brief Brontë-break, but they will be back. I haven't read any of Anne's novels yet.

Also, Justin needs a nightstand for his side of the bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment