Sunday, July 11, 2010

It's too hot.

Usually, when I tell people that I live in New Mexico, they say something like "geez, it must get really hot in summer". Usually, I respond with something like "well, it can get pretty warm, but Albuquerque is technically 'high desert' so it's not like Phoenix or anything".

This is true.

However.

It's been really hot for the last couple weeks. I'm not sure if I'm just more sensitive to it than I used to be, but I'm dreaming of frozen lakes and snowshoes right about now. I've never been a fan of summer weather, but I've been absolutely pathetic lately. The heat just makes me sleepy and grouchy (maybe Grouchy Leah and the Beastie Wild Things need to make an appearance and address this issue). I want to live somewhere with three seasons: winter, spring, and fall. Repeat. That would be perfect. If you find this place, let me know!

I do try, though.

I've planted a few things in the front yard, and I appreciate the yummy herbs and pretty flowers. These are summer things, Leah. See? Summer isn't so bad. I thrive in the evening when the sun goes down and my world is calm and cool. See? Summer is the only season that provides a distinct "cool evening". Isn't that nice? New Mexico isn't particularly green, but summer boasts the most of my beloved green, as well as other brilliant pigments.


Ok, there aren't many orchids blooming in New Mexico, but you get the idea.

I'm working on it. In the meantime, I'm guzzling iced tea and enjoying the summer pallette (yet secretly dreaming of hot chocolate by frosted window panes).

No comments:

Post a Comment