Friday, May 21, 2010

You say banana, I say banana.

On a scale of one to ten, I'd have to say that my culinary skills rate about a three. I'm not very handy in a kitchen. However, I make a few things well enough to earn those three points, and my banana bread is one of those things.

Ya'll are probably miles ahead of me on this one, but it wasn't until (embarrassingly) recently that I found out that I could freeze my overripe bananas and stock up for banana bread. It just hadn't occurred to me. This is especially convenient for me as I prefer to eat fresh bananas that lean towards underripe vs. overripe, and every time I buy bananas, there's always ONE that ripens past my point of tolerance. Into the freezer it goes! As soon as I have a frozen bunch, I pull out the ingredients and preheat the oven.


Ingredients:
  • 2 c flour           
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt                               
  • 1/2 c butter
  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten (or substitute applesauce)
  • 2 1/3 c mashed bananas     
Optional (required!!) add-ins:
  • walnuts/pecans
  • raisins
  • honey
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9"x5"(-ish) loaf pan. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar, and then stir in the eggs and mashed bananas. Combine the ingredients, and add the optional goodies. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, and bake for 60 to 65 minutes. When it is done baking, let the bread cool for ~10 minutes.


Mmmmm. So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment