Monday, April 5, 2010

paints and palette knives

My mixing skills are a bit rusty, but I finally achieved "the" blue of the wintry sky for the painting I started yesterday afternoon. I really enjoy painting skies, and I take great liberties with them. When I was little, I put a lot of time and effort into making my drawings and paintings look "just right", and very realistic (or at least to the extent that I was capable). Now I don't have the patience or the desire to do that. This change coincided, I think, with the budding of my interest in photography when I was about 18. After that, I figured that if I wanted an image to be realistic, I could just snap a picture. When a blank canvas is stretched before me, I let my imagination go, and my fingers (and brushes) fly.

Sometimes I worry that I have let my technical skills slip. What if my fondness for realism rekindles? Could I still produce what I might see before me? I don't know. But I love how kinetic my paintings have become. I enjoy the experience more, I think, than I used to. For now, I will embrace the abstract and unusual features that develop with my brush, and pore over the earthly details exposed by my camera.

 photo by jpdodd

No comments:

Post a Comment