Sunday, April 18, 2010

laundry confessions

"It's better to have loved and lost than to have to do forty pounds of laundry a week." ~Dr. Laurence J. Peter

This is true.

I am here to admit, though, that I rather like doing laundry. This goes against certain feminist movements, but is it so wrong? Can domestic chores be calming, centering, zen-like? Certainly not all. I'll never enjoy washing dishes. Ew. However, there is something so satisfying about pulling warm garments out of the dryer, fluffy and flowery, and then sorting and folding it all into nice little piles that are eventually tucked away into drawers and onto closet shelves. Ah. 

"We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry." ~E.B. White

I find far more joy in other things, but at least I can find a little pleasure in one of life's necessary chores...



Can you find my "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" sock? Jeez, I'm weird. I'm sorry for exposing you to my laundry pile (at least it's clean!).

My mom is probably panicking right now: "Oh no, the child is turning into her grandma!" Have no fear: I do not assign value my days according to the number of loads done. It's just nice to not to cringe at all things domestic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment