Monday, April 5, 2010

Jane Eyre and I

.... and it begins again, another period piece infatuation. I know 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Sense and Sensibility' forwards and backwards, and have flirted with many others (beyond Austen). I recently revisited Jane Eyre... and she and I are having a grand time. I read the book in high school and it didn't leave much of an impression; in fact, I couldn't remember anything about it. This time (10+ years later), she and Mr. Rochester decided to make a little nest in my brain where they will forever reside. I LOVE the story. And I LOVE Rochester (move over, Darcy... the bad boy wins). I then discovered the BBC version with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens - phenomenal - and you know the rest. The book and film will keep me occupied for a while, but then... what next??

 
Illustration from second edition of 'Jane Eyre'. Image downloaded at Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment