Wednesday, April 7, 2010

inspired to read, paint, and occasionally rant

Confession: I enjoy blogging more than I thought I would.

Okay, okay, it's only day 4.... but I am finding blogs that belong to intriguing and talented individuals who are unknowingly prodding my creative side and giving me new things to think about. Lovely.

I bought some new paints and block-printing inks today (so satisfying), and I'm sorting through some old files; the latter isn't exactly artistic, but the creative process for me is often benefited by the cleaning/organizing/making a space for art process.


****************************

On another note, I picked up a new book today: Becoming Jane Eyre by Sheila Kohler. Originally, I intended to start another "classic", but I just can't shake this particular infatuation with my dear Jane just yet. I've heard good things about this novel, and hope that I find it an enjoyable read. It's a short little paperback, and I expect to finish it quickly.

And speaking of paperbacks... which leads me to hardcovers and bindings in general.... why can't I find reprints of classic literature pieces in simple hardcovers? Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are such rich, timeless stories. Shouldn't they be bound likewise? I need to seek out some old copies. Yellow pages and small tears don't trouble me; in fact, that adds to the beauty. I just want something that feels right. It doesn't matter in the long run- it's about the story, after all. Still, slick paperbacks of old favorites feel like beautiful works of art in cheap frames.

Enough ranting for now... Jane beckons!

No comments:

Post a Comment